Thank you for trusting me with your new tattoo! I have most likely wrapped your tattoo with a Recovery Derm bandage.
Please keep this bandage on your tattoo for 3-5 days if possible. If your bandage leaks at any point, take it off immediately and either place a new piece or heal your tattoo openly with antibacterial soap & ointment. All the instructions you need are listed below.
I always recommend keeping some type of dermal bandage at home in case of leaks. You can order Derm Shield here, which I prefer, or Saniderm & Tegaderm are available at most drug stores if you're in a pinch. They all work the same way :)
When you go to remove the bandage at any point, follow these steps:
1) Peel the corners of the bandage very slowly & gently to remove. I recommend doing this in the shower under running water to make it a little less messy.
2) Wash your hands first, and then your tattoo with Dial Gold Antibacterial Soap.
3) Rinse thoroughly & pat dry with a clean paper towel. Do not use your bath towel!
4) If you're going to place a new bandage, follow the instructions here. DO NOT APPLY ANY OINTMENT UNDER THE BANDAGE! You want to apply the bandage on clean, dry skin.
5) If you're removing the bandage for good, keep reading below!
After removing the bandage:
When you remove the bandage for good, simply wash your tattoo 2-3 times a day in the same way described above (remember to always wash your hands first). After patting dry with a paper towel, apply a VERY thin layer of Lubriderm Lotion. If you took the bandage off early and find that your tattoo is still leaking slightly, wash it thoroughly and wait some time for it to dry out before applying lotion. This could be from a few minutes to a few hours, depending on how fresh your tattoo is.
Your tattoo may scab & peel naturally, but try to avoid picking at it as that may cause the ink to fall out. It will fully heal in about 2-3 weeks, and will continue to settle for the months following.
Things to avoid as your tattoo is healing: Bubble baths, swimming, sunbathing, rigorous exercise, basically anything that may expose your tattoo to dirty surfaces & bacteria. Be mindful that your tattoo is an open wound and must be protected until healed.